Thursday, November 5, 2009

A Quick Homepage Design Technique


This tutorial, shows you how to create custom homepages from existing ones. For this to work, you need to flag and take screen snapshots of well designed sites. I usually stick with the large companies homepages because of their design and simplicity. In the examples here, I'll be using the Jaguar site and the Mini Cooper site.

I usually show this technique to people who aren't trained graphic designers and I find the results to be pretty cool. At first, it seems like copying, but once you replace the main imagery, logo and navigation with your own, it will look totally new. You are only borrowing the template and the general flow for where items are placed.

Quantity is the key to this exercise, the more designs you do, the options you'll have, which will eventually lead to a better decision as you narrow things down to your final design. I recommend designing 3 - 5 mockups to get you started.

I also like this technique because it requires little or no coding. Everything is visual and I find that people have lots of fun doing it.

Be sure you check out my next video about adding functionality and programming to this homepage.

This will be my first customized video for this blog, it turned out better than I had expected. Looking forward to making my next one soon. The backround music for this video tutorial was provided by my friend DJ Ilo.

Let's Begin!

No comments: