Saturday, March 12, 2011

Protected Mailto Command:

 I like Spam, especially in Musubi, but its not cool when you get it in your inbox. For many of us who maintain and design websites, the mailto command has been the main way to create a hotlink on our webpages. Wasn't it cool to click a link and have an email client open up, start a new message, and have your address already in the "To:" line? When I saw that, I thought it was a great way for clients to stay in contact with you. 

The drawback, is that this "mailto" command and the email address associated with it, is harvested by robots, thus resulting in a flood of spam mail. Bad, very bad. So I started looking for possible solutions. 

I recently tried this Javascript method that encrypts your email address and it can be found on this page below...


On Version 2, you'll have a crazy looking email address that looks like this...

mailto:you@e

It looks crazy, but this email address works just fine, you can copy and paste it in your HTML and it looks exactly like how your mailto command email would work. I know this isn't 100% foolproof, but it may help a little. The reason why it works is because the code removes the "@" symbol and encrypts the letters making it tough for a robot to figure out. At least that's the idea. I'm gonna give it a shot.

Remember too that a sure fire way to deflect spam is to use a hearty spam filter. The one in gmail works amazing for me. I get little or no junk mail at all. 



No comments: